Sunday, November 10, 2013

Nov 10 2013

Christchurch, NZ.  Nov 10 2013

Today we went to the US Antarctic Program Clothing Distribution Center.  I was issued:
3 top base layers of increasing thickness
3 bottom base layers of increasing thickness
2 pairs of long wool socks
2 neck gators
1 balaclava
1 windbloc fleece hat
4 pairs of gloves
1 pair goggles
1 red outer jacket
1 red parka with hood
1 wind pants
1 pair bunny boots

I had everything on (yes!), except the outer jacket, to make sure that the red parka and wind pants can fit over everything.  The greenhouse effect in action!  I warmed up in no time.  You can tell it's me because my name is on the parka.  I gained 20 lbs.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, we'll be flying over the Southern Ocean.  The plane will land on SEA ICE!  The ice is 2.4 meters thick, and the air temperature is -10F at McMurdo Station.   The sea ice runway will operate for only a couple of months in the spring.  When summer comes, they'll have to fly a plane with skis so it can land on the glacier.

No comments:

Post a Comment